[PD] still no hdsp+alsa+pd

Frank Barknecht barknech at ph-cip.uni-koeln.de
Sun Sep 15 10:23:57 CEST 2002

Thomas Grill hat gesagt: // Thomas Grill wrote:

> Is there a way to cope with interleaved streams by having an appropriate
> .asoundrc?

If I understand ALSA's asoundrc and device nameing correctly (which
might very well not be the case) then one needs a "plug" or "plughw"
type of device to convert between non- and interleaved streams, if the
hardware cannot do this on its own.

Unfourtunatly I cannot get PD to open "plug"-type devices at all :(
[with a Midiman Audiophile]

One standard plug device is called "default", seen for example with
"aplay -L"

If I try to use this device:

$ pd -alsa -alsadev default:0,0
$ pd -alsa -alsadev default

PD's audio is stuck. The same happens, if I define a plug PCM in my
asoundrc:

	# asoundrc:
	pcm.maudio {
		type hw
		card 0
	}
	ctl.maudio {
		type hw
		card 0
	}
	pcm.mydsp {
		type plug
		slave.pcm maudio
	}

Now, "pd -alsadev maudio" works, but "pd -alsadev mydsp" doesn't.
I can use "mydsp" with aplay without problems "aplay -D mydsp some.wav"

I suspect, that PD simply isn't able to use plug devices. But maybe
working on the JACK support is more important.

ciao