[PD] GEM tips

chris clepper cclepper at artic.edu
Tue Sep 24 20:29:30 CEST 2002

>Hi there,
>
>I have a patch with two balls moving but the movement isn't
>smooth.....what can I do to optimize the refreshment of the images
>and get a smoother movement?

- try sending a [frame 30< message to the gemwin.  you can try higher
than 30 as well.
- make sure there are no 'spinning' number boxes (constantly updating)
- are you using a metro and rotate in the patch?  rotate will be
jerky unless the metro is set really low like < 10 msec.  you will
also have to increase the frame amount to see the result.

>I'm using PD and GEM in an iBook OSX.

are you running 10.2?  the GL in jaguar is very much improved and has
spiffy new features.

i've got a powerbook with the rage chip and nothing that simple in
gem really stresses it.  now if you have a newer ibook with the
radeon, then i'm not sure how quartz extreme plays into the equation.
it might be eating all the vram.  if you install the dev tools you
get a nifty openGL profiling app that will tell you what the vram
situation is.

At 7:39 PM +0200 9/24/02, IOhannes zmoelnig wrote:
>if they don't, you might have no hw-acceleration.

he does have acceleration.  in fact you have to try really hard to
disable it in OSX.

>if the XServer (i guess osX is Xserver-based...) eats 99% this is
>surely the problem.

OSX does not use X11, but you can certainly install it if you wish.
pd/GEM use native windowing in OSX.

>try getting a good card with an appropriate driver.

not an option for his ibook.  but in general any radeon/geforce
running in 10.2 should be quite nice for GEM.

cgc