[PD] using other s/w with pd

MLN Kazem, Aerospace Engineering M.Kazem at bristol.ac.uk
Sat Sep 28 19:10:51 CEST 2002

thanks again for the reply but I'm not quite sure why this is not
possible. Please correct me if I am wrong but as I understand it Pd
uses portaudio in order to communicate with the windows drivers - which
either support ASIO or DirectSound. Having looked at the code for the
DirectSound release of portaudio, I recognise the directsound interface
code for creating the primary and secondary buffer objects etc. - could
I not intercept the code at this point implementing other C/C++
interfaces to further process the secondary buffers before they are
sent to the primary?
I am presuming that I can use the C source code distributed with pd to
implement pd in its entirety - ie. I can have a C or C++ app that uses
this code to implement pd's functionality - or is this what you were
referring too when you said the answer was 'No'?
I think I cannot use ReWire as I am from a university and therefore
presumably am not allowed a license (according to the website).
Also which part of the source refers to making the connection to the
tcl/tk application?
...or am I just getting this whole thing horribly wrong?!

thanks again

Mandy