[PD] using other s/w with pd

MLN Kazem, Aerospace Engineering M.Kazem at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Sep 30 18:19:15 CEST 2002

Hi all,

thanks for that...could I possibly pester for more info.... I have
always assumed that developing the bones of a dsp system itself would
be very complex producing lots of niggling issues that take ages to
iron out...as it seems that several people have successfully built such
systems surely it's best to use their implementations as opposed to
trying to rewrite basic parts of their code for my own (inevitably
inferior) system??? Would it really be possible in a relatively short
period of time???...any more clues Tom would be great....

Could anyone point me towards any links/sites to give an overview of
control flow through the C code behind pd, I'm piecing together what I
can from the code and the way (obviously) I can see pd work through the
GUI, but any info would be great here simply to improve my
understanding.

On a final push for more info.....the reason I wanted to pursue pd was
firstly because it has functionality such as ffts et.c. (which I think
STK does not) and secondly because it would have been nice to rapidly
prototype my ideas with pd using its ready-to-use gui (so I could have
more of a feel for what I was producing) and then having produced the
patches I required, dispense with the gui and implement the
functionality within a C++ app driven with my own C++ data....on the
output side of things I'm fairly sure its possible (looking at
portaudio for directsound) to extract the resulting information passed
into the secondary directsound buffers for my own purposes.