[PD] Max/MSP vs. Pd [was: shadow patch bug]

chris clepper cclepper at artic.edu
Sun Oct 6 19:50:09 CEST 2002

Hi

One of the main problems I find with the 'stock' pd GUI is the fact
that it doesn't take advantage of what a GUI can do for the user.  In
short, the Graphic aspect of the pd GUI needs to be emphasized more.
For example, there is no visual differentiation between data/control
and signal paths.  There's also very little visual difference between
object, message, and number boxes which makes things harder to read
in large and cluttered patches.

IMHO these need to be addressed, and it doesn't need to be a radical
change either.  Perhaps a double line border for an object (like Max)
and different colored patch cords for data and audio paths would be
enough to start?  Adding these features would make patches easier to
read, take a look at how jMax and Max handle this. Variable font
sizes could also improve readability and allow for cleaner layout of
the example patches.

In my experience of showing pd to people, the GUI is the number one
complaint.  The irony is that Max/MSP was often criticized for having
a poor or ugly GUI, so most of the changes in Max4 addressed those
concerns (and unfortunately not the stability/performance issues).
There is something to be said for having an environment that is
pleasing to the eye, and thus makes it nicer to work in.   Also, the
clearer data is displayed to the user the more productive that
environment will often be.

I'm hardly an expert, but I've had enough experience using these
programs to discover how they both aid and hinder my work.  I also
realize that the issues of appearance and usability are quite
subjective, and that you can make a poorly organized patch in Max and
a nicely ordered one in pd.  But from most of the list postings and
discussions I've had concerning the graphical layout of pd, I have
determined that enhancements to the GUI would both entice more people
to use pd and enable greater productivity for the users of pd.

cgc

.