[PD] ctlin/out weirdness

David McCallum 8dngm at qlink.queensu.ca
Sat Nov 9 02:50:12 CET 2002

         I'm creating a MIDI feedback loop and I can't figure out why.

         I have a slider that is sending and listening to channel 1 from my
MIDI interface. So that I can move the slider on the PC and have it tell my
controller that the slider's moved, or move the controller so that affects
the slider in Pd. (I don't have the controller plugged in at the moment,
either!)

         Whenever I move the slider I get a loop going. I can think of
maybe two reasons why this is happening, neither of which seem in the least
bit plausible.

1)      ctlin without parameters will show *all* MIDI activity. I didn't
think this was true, I thought it would only show MIDI data going *in* to
Pd, not in to any MIDI port. And I'm not sending CC info to any internal
MIDI connections (hubi's, midiyoke). And besides, the [ctlin] says that the
data definitely is coming from my MIDI interface (or at least that channel
number).

2)      My MIDI interface automatically loops all MIDI data sent to its Out
port back through it's In port... but I can't see that happening either.
This would create huge problems everywhere.

         I'm missing something and I don't know what, help!

David

.
. David McCallum
.  Music wants to be free