[PD] FAO edirol users. problems with Pd and edirol usb

Wakefield Graham Graham.Wakefield at StaffordLong.co.uk
Mon Nov 11 18:32:18 CET 2002

I use UA-100, had no joy for a long time in getting it to work with PD,
eventually abandoned ASIO as a no-goer and now get a latency around 80ms,
with occaisional dropouts.  Don't have another SC to compare if this is
driver specific.

-----Original Message-----
From: David Sabine [mailto:dave at davesabine.com]
Sent: 10 November 2002 03:43
To: nick at music.gla.ac.uk; pd-list at iem.kug.ac.at
Subject: [PD] problems with Pd and edirol usb

Hello Nick,

I bought an Edirol UA-5 a few months ago and eventually returned it to the
retailer (i took of that 30-day money back gaurantee because ultimately it
wasn't the right product for my needs).  Here's a breakdown of my experience
with the interface:

1.  If I started PD with the -noresync flag, I could eliminate SOME of the
clicking noises.

2.  I was never terribly successful using PD with ASIO with the Edirol
interface.  the UA-5 could only support ASIO drivers on either the input OR
the output.  So, If I stared PD with the -asio flag, then I had to also use
either -nodac or -noadc.  That was a real drag.
(I don't know if the UA-1A supports simoultaneous INput and OUTput with the
ASIO drivers.??)

3.  Ultimately, I returned the product and bought a MOTU 2408mkII.  It's
about 2.5 times the price of the edirol unit..but I can use 24 input and
output simoultaneously with ASIO --but on the downside, it doesn't have a
mic pre-amp like the UA-5 had.

I don't know if this helps you at all and I understand that you're using the
UA-1A which is different than the UA-5..but I thought I'd share my
experience anyway.

Regards,
Dave S