[PD] latency xp

Josh Steiner joschi at eds.org
Wed Nov 13 05:43:45 CET 2002

did you try something like "pd -asio -sounddev 1" ?

from /doc/1.manual/x3.htm :

ASIO

As of version 0.35 Pd supports ASIO. Invoke Pd as "pd -asio" and, if
needed, specify "-sounddev" (etc.) flags to specify which device (see
"the Pd command line" below.) You can also specify a "-blocksize"
different from the default (256 samples) and "-audiobuf" in
milliseconds. Pd will round this down to a power of two buffers, each of
"-blocksize" in sample frames.

Using an RME Hammerfall, and specifying "-audiobuf 5 -blocksize 32" I
was able to get about 7 milliseconds of throughput delay (as measured by
the latency-measurement patch in 7.stuff/tools.) As always, you can
specify "-channels" to any even number up to the maximum (32, I think)
or can specify channel count separately for input and output
(-inchannels and -outchannels).

-joschi