[PD] Help!! RealTime sampler

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Nov 13 10:28:51 CET 2002

Hi,
matthew jones hat gesagt: // matthew jones wrote:

> So what can Pd do?  I need a multichannel sampler (capable of
> sampling any/all 16 channels of my soundcard simultaneously without
> any clicktrack).  Obviously I'd be looking at, at least, editing or
> modifying existing code since what I describe does not exist at the
> moment, but I need to make sure Pd can:-
> (a) access the soundcard inputs/outputs (I have Midiman 10/10')
I can actually only speak for Pd on Linux, but W32-System should do
the same:

Multiple in/out is no problem for Pd.

> (b) have little or no latency (<5ms??)

Yep. (On Linux, don't know if W32 can go that low.)

> (c) ideally have access to each sample as it arrives, so I can write
> a routine in C that does the appropriate buffering/sorting

Yes, this is easy to do, if you write your own externals. The Pd API
is very clean, and if you want to write externals in C++, you could
use flext, that's what I do in general.

> also, I'm not sure whether I need a Mac or whether the Windows
> version would satisfy the low-latency criteria.

I think, that Mac platform still is a bit experimental and I doubt,
that you can get very low latency with Pd on the Mac currently.

> is ASIO compatibility available in Pd?

Yes.

ciao