[PD] 1d cellular automata patch

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Sat Nov 16 01:25:01 CET 2002

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, wwcarpen wrote:
> fundamentally i think that it would be much easier if i was using
> gridflow, (ahem, windows .dll, somebody, anyone? pleeeeease?)

GridFlow 0.6.x are much more portable than the former versions and are
becoming more so, but it's just theoretical. Someone has nearly made it
run on Windows; but there is no real maintainer of the Windows version,
and so no binary release either; and I don't have Windows here. And anyway
I'd prefer an actual Windows programmer to maintain it.

> am i correct in thinking that i could make a much bigger window with
> gridflow without having to worry much about using cpu?
> my laptop starts to stutter if i use much more than 1250 squares in
> gem.

Well, I run Conway's Game of Life (a 2d automaton) with 19200 squares at
10 fps but that eats 100% of the CPU of my feeble 400 MHz box. Not to
mention GridFlow-for-PD is _really not_ stable. I'll try to fix bugs and