[PD] Gem "model" object

chris clepper cclepper at artic.edu
Mon Nov 18 18:51:15 CET 2002

the Wavefront .obj models do not have any support for this type of
movement.  the only way to get such a feature in GEM is to support a
different model format.  two things have been suggested to me:

1) i know one of the programmers of Alice, who's models can specify
movable elements and allow real-time manipulation of the model in the
Alice visualization environment.  the downside is that the models can
only be created in 3DStudio on the PC, and the format is not widely
known or used outside of Carneige-Mellon.

2) Quake models.  i'm pretty sure that these are designed for a wide
range of manipulation.  plus, this might be the most widely used
model format in the world and i think there are also free editors for
it too.

anyone else have suggestions for model types that GEM can support?

cgc