[PD] Gem "model" object

chris clepper cclepper at artic.edu
Mon Nov 18 21:32:11 CET 2002

>Citeren IOhannes zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.kug.ac.at>:
>
>>  i think i will incorporate a quake-model loader (the source code is
>>  already on my hd, i only have to have some times)
>
>That would be really cool!

this was also on our (tigital and myself) TODO list.  not sure how
many models of evil looking guys with rocket launchers i need to load
in GEM tho.  i'm sure there's tons of other models out there.  i seem
to remember a barney patch from years ago...

>A completely different path would be to exchange messages with a 'standalone'
>game engine. The best thing I came across on the net is "The Nebula Device"
>(http://www.radonlabs.de/). It's open source, cross-platform, cross-3d api
>(direct3d 7,8 and opengl), and already has a shell interface that might be
>suitable to 'pump' pd messages into.
>This is would provide a feature-rich (collision detection, t&l, 3dmax
>integration, milkshape integration, ...) 3d environment to PD, more suitable
>for VR-like apps, but less flexible than GEM.
>
>I haven't looked beyond the tech demos yet, and it is not on top of my list of
>priorities. Comments on the pro/contra welcome. Can similar things allready be
>made with other feature-rich 3D apps (more or less integrated with PD)?

that's an interesting project.  it looks like the last release was
over a year ago (9-30-2001) according to the website.  do you know if
it is in widespread use?

i am interested in doing something like a VR environment, especially
for installation work.  someone actually suggested that the quake
engine might work for this.  and hell if we're gonna load quake
models, we might as well give them something to run around in ;).
i'm not much of a gamer, but i am impressed by some of the technology
used in a game like quake, so why not harness that for art making??

cgc