[PD] CVS or not CVS ??

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Tue Nov 19 12:36:36 CET 2002

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> Here's what Sourceforge has to say about permissions:
>
> --
> How can I place restrictions on developer write access to my repository?
>
>     While SourceForge.net does not currently provide the means to restrict
> developer write access to a project CVS repository, you may make use of
> the cvs_acls script, provided in the CVS software distribution. The
> cvs_acls script is used in conjunction with the commitinfo file in the
> CVSROOT module for your project, as to limit developer access to specific
> portions of the repository.
> --
>
> CVS provides 'commitinfo' for this very
> purpose, combined with this perl script 'cvs_acls'
> (http://collaboratory.psc.edu/tools/cvs/faq.html)  Plus 'commitinfo' can
> also be used for running pre-checkin test routines.  Here's what the
> docs have to say: http://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/cvs_18.html#SEC167
>
> I'll take a shot at setting this up if someone is interested.

Yes, if someone wants this you just have to set it up. I am not at
all against it, I just did not do it because it is not relevant for
me personally.

Then, I think that yves externals are much to important to be not included
in demudi, so I would put them anyway.

The thing is that I would put them into the CVS as they are, and if there
are new versions I will have to update the CVS. And sometimes, for new
releases I might forget to track down the latest versions.

But, I already consider the external CVS as a success, and it makes life
a lot easier for me already, hopefully, in the near future it will make
the live easier for all pd users too.

Guenter