[PD] percolate for linux

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Nov 21 23:35:52 CET 2002

Hi,
Olaf Matthes hat gesagt: // Olaf Matthes wrote:

> some people were independently reporting success in porting some of the
> objects to linux but nowbody ported them all...

This is my problem as well: I cannot build the whole library, but the
single externals often don't load. This surely is something simple, so
my developer question is: What needs to be changed to, say, scrub~.c
to make it standalone?  I never wrote a library of externals so it is
not clear to me: What is the difference inside the sources between a
standalone external and one designed for a library?

> My goal was to completely port PeRColate, regardless what other STK based
> objects already were available. I only excluded objects we already have as
> core Pd objects. In the end I even ported the video stuff

This sounds very reasonable.

> At least on Win the two other ways of getting parts of STK into Pd don't
> work (aren't ported yet), as far as I know. Anyway, I really would like to
> support someone who wants to port PeRColate to Linux. Maybe I can take this
> opportunity to learn how to write Linux compatible code.... I would
> probably try a OS X port if can get hands on a OS X machine again.

Actually I don't think, that you have a lot of incompatible code in
it. For example scrubber (which I tested again now) builds nearly out
of the box. I only had to change an "int i" to an "unsigned int i" in
scrub_new(void) to make the compiler happy, but that is not Linux
specific at all and it would be a problem, if the Makefile wouldn't
treat warnings as errors ("-Werror")

I think, it would help to have at least some externals from the
library working, and fix the rest later.

ciao