[PD] patch bay

João Miguel Pais jmmmpl at netcabo.pt
Sun Nov 24 01:59:09 CET 2002

Dear list,

I am thinking about how to build a patch bay for a live-impro patch. For
example, with 3 or 4 different input sources, and more 3 or 4 effects, one
input source to be connected with several effects in series
(input->fx1->fx2->...). The ideia would be that like on an analog patcher,
it would be easy to make fast changes between (radically) different setups
during performance.

For this to work, all audio signals (sources and effects) would have to go
through the central router. I was trying this with multiplex~, but it does
not allow feedback inputs - when something which comes from it's output is
connected to the input, the object switches off processing: for example
osc~ -> mux~ input 1 -> freeverb~ -> mux~ input 2.
Lacking of more ideas, I am thinking of keeping the connections window on
edit mode, and edit them manually during performance just simply by putting
the wires on and off, like an analog version. It won't be so fast and
efficient.

Has anyone thought / developed something similar before?

João Miguel Pais