[PD] Heart rate and brainwave sensor

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Mon Nov 25 19:06:43 CET 2002

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, david casal wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Nov 2002, arm pdlist wrote:
> maybe check out:
> http://mrogalsky.web.wesleyan.edu/otherthings/voltage-midi/voltage-midi.html
> some of us here have used the 'basic stamp' for sensor data to MIDI
> conversion, with good success. it is programmable in BASIC, works through
> the serial port, and is not -too- expensive...

May I remind people that:

1. BASIC might be the language that has the most widely differing
dialects. For example, there may be tons of variations within the C/C++
family, or within the LISP/Scheme family, but they don't go to nearly the
same extent of gross incompatibility that BASICs do.

2. All efforts to standardize BASIC have failed, mostly because 80's
microcomputer producers didn't care about compatibility, and then they
disappeared, and after that, the only significant remaining BASIC-frenzy
company was Microsoft.

3. The BASICstamp language is a cross between BASIC and assembly language.
It bears almost no resemblance to any other dialect of BASIC I've used. It
is only slightly friendlier than assembly language. I think the main
reasons why that chip sells is because it's called BASIC, which sounds
(well...) basic and easy, and because it triggers memories of a first
microcomputer programming experience 20 years ago using an almost
completely different language of the same name.