[PD] Heart rate and brainwave sensor

david casal D.Casal at uea.ac.uk
Tue Nov 26 12:34:19 CET 2002

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> May I remind people that:
>
> 1. BASIC might be the language that has the most widely differing
> dialects. For example, there may be tons of variations within the C/C++
> family, or within the LISP/Scheme family, but they don't go to nearly the
> same extent of gross incompatibility that BASICs do.

true enough

> 2. All efforts to standardize BASIC have failed, mostly because 80's
> microcomputer producers didn't care about compatibility, and then they
> disappeared, and after that, the only significant remaining BASIC-frenzy
> company was Microsoft.

again true

> 3. The BASICstamp language is a cross between BASIC and assembly language.
> It bears almost no resemblance to any other dialect of BASIC I've used. It
> is only slightly friendlier than assembly language. I think the main
> reasons why that chip sells is because it's called BASIC, which sounds
> (well...) basic and easy, and because it triggers memories of a first
> microcomputer programming experience 20 years ago using an almost
> completely different language of the same name.

fair enough. however, voltage to midi conversion in BASICstamp was easy,
did the job, still foes the job, and lives in a tiny box riddled with
sensors.

so, issues or no, it worked fine for me...I'm sure there are far better
and saner ways of doing it

david casal                   --0+
    ---
d.casal at uea.ac.uk             --9+