[PD] Heart rate and brainwave sensor

Bo.T tim at timesup.org
Tue Nov 26 15:38:30 CET 2002

hi,

we did heartrate with Ed Severin's (sp??) BodySynth, using the EMG
(muscle
tension) to respond to the heart muscle contracting.

Heart rate is easier and safer with an IR blood sensor, as used
in (e.g.) fitness/jogging machines. these things clip over your
earlobe or the skin between your fingers.

I think this is useful (not online right now)

http://www.media.mit.edu/~marrin/HTMLThesis/2.6.htm

Brainwave stuff with the IBVA is really silly. But it makes some
midi data, and someone has made a Max patch to receive the
serial data direct from the IBVA receiverand interpret it.I have
something deep in my archives should this be relevant. you might
be able to rebuild this for PD.

Note that if you want to attach anything with electrodes
to your body, your are putting yourself (or others!) at
extreme risk if there is not an airgap or an extremely expensive
medical grade safety thing in place. Ed Severinghaus (shite, I lost his
real name in my memory cells....) and the IBVA use the airgaps of a
radio
transmitter. this makes it all mobile, which is a bonus. maybe.

hope this makes some sense.....

chrz,

tm

--