[PD] Alsa/OSS, pd and RME don't like each other

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Tue Dec 3 15:31:13 CET 2002

On Tue, 3 Dec 2002, Orm Finnendahl wrote:

> Am Dienstag, den 03. Dezember 2002 um 13:44:32 Uhr (+0100) schrieb guenter geiger:
> > Are you sure that you have the very same alsa installed ?
> > Recent ALSA snapshots are known to have broken OSS emulation.

.... to be more precise, I think the very, very  recent versions could
work, but you probably have to use a CVS snapshot ..

Then there is the jack solution too, but this has a minimal latency
around 10ms unless you tweak the kernel.

> No. I'm sure I have a different ALSA installed. Unfortunately the old
> ALSA hdsp driver didn't work on the Athlon... (sigh).
>
> I will check again. I got sound working now with pd-0.35-test29 and
> Stefan Kersten's sndlib patch by not using the OSS layer, but I'd
> rather use more recent pd versions.
>
> Thanks for the hint. I guess I'll have to wait :-(

I think not too much changed in sound I/O, so you might get away by using
the sndlib with a recent pd version ...

Guenter