[PD] cel shading in Gem

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Dec 10 23:38:44 CET 2002

Hi,

after a long time, I'm doing some Gem now, actually for the first
time, I'm trying to do it right. One of my projects is to make a patch
or external to achieve that cel shading look, used in increasingly
more animation films or games, the Dreamcast game "Jet Set Radio"
started it all.

There are some OpenGL programming tutorials regarding cel shading out
there, for example at http://nehe.gamedev.net/opengl8.asp

Now I'm still learning OpenGL and Gem, but I'd like to get one thing
clear: Would it be possible to achieve this cel shading look with the
available Gem-objects? Or would a new Gem external be needed? And what
would be a good place in the Gem chain for that? Could I start, say,
with the [diffuse]-code and adapt that?

Questions, all those questions...

ciao