[PD] Re: [PD-announce] Paradiddle 0.1: a Cocoa interface for Pd

Adam Lindsay atl at comp.lancs.ac.uk
Wed Dec 18 01:32:34 CET 2002

Hi, Damion, all,

Just catching up on mail while I was away...

I believe damion romero said this around Fri, 13 Dec 2002:

>Adam,
>The Paradiddle thing is really great (now if I could only get Pd to do
>anything I really want it to do) I've had some luck using it to make an
>app to control a pd patch.
>It would be cool to see it be able to receive as well as send.

I see that as being very possible down the line... the question is, how
to do it *simply*? A good place to start is to describe what you want the
interface to receive...

A little snag is that I don't yet know how to make an external process
"listen" to Pd's own messages that are not explicitly netsend-ed.

>I need to figure out more about how to use project builder before I can
>give much valuable feedback...

Hopefully, in this and the next couple releases, I relieve you (the
developer-user) from having to know anything about ProjectBuilder (which
is good, because I don't know that much about it, myself....)

>It would be ideal if projectbuilder could somehow make an app that
>could run pd inside itself, without having to launch pd itself and
>could stand alone...

That would be nice. I've been thinking about how that sort of thing could
happen, and I need to figure out more about making a library out of 98%
percent of Pd's code. A Pd.framework working as a generalised synthesis
framework? Hmmm...

But in the meantime, Paradiddle 0.2 will have the capability of auto-
connecting with a Pd process, and 0.3 will (hopefully) launch Pd by
itself. I can't plan any longer-term... :)

Thanks for the feedback,
adam

--
 Adam Lindsay                  +44(0)1524 594 537
 atl at comp.lancs.ac.uk
 http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/computing/users/atl/