[PD] subpatches and delay lines

Maurizio Umberto Puxeddu umbpux at tin.it
Thu Jan 2 23:30:31 CET 2003

Hi Chad.

	You can use "$0-". PD will replace it with an id (number) that is
unique for each instance of the patch. For example you can name your
delay line "$0-delay".

[delread $0-delay]

[delwrite $0-delay]

etc.

If you create 2 instances of you patch you will get something like
"1023-delay" and "1024-delay".

Note that this mechanism is not generic (that is $0 is replaced this way
only at the beginning of a string, do not try
"this-is-my-delay-number-$0") and it doesn't work, on purpose, inside
messages.

You can find more about this in the HTML manual (which explains many
basic concepts of PD). And there are examples in the tutorial patches
too.

It is the only way to make a local variable in PD but it works nicely.

HTH,

Maurizio Umberto Puxeddu.