[PD] ggee serialctl question

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Tue Jan 7 13:33:37 CET 2003

On Fri, 3 Jan 2003 docbenway at meloo.com wrote:

> hi,
>
> I've adapted a serial mouse on an old turntable as shown on the terminatorX
> web site....
> Using serialctl from ggee all I get from the serial port is a bunch
> of "0" and "128" when I move the "mouse-turntable"...I've tried serial_ms
> also from ggee but I get no output...
> i get the same results with comport....
> Can anybody explain me how the ggee's serial_ms object works or if
> I've forgot to configure something....

Most serial mice need an initialisation sequence, unfortunately I could
not figure out how this is done for microsoft compatible mice,
so what I did when using the external, is starting to get the
mouse working with the "gpm" (or gpmconfig), then stop gpm.

Then, when the serialctl delivers some numbers that make sense, you hook
it up to serial_ms, which decodes them into coordinates.

I think this might be the problem with comport as well.

Greetings,

Guenter