[PD] Best windows version for PD

Johannes Taelman johannes.taelman at rug.ac.be
Tue Jan 7 18:23:57 CET 2003

Hi,

> I've been been running PD under linux, and have developed a few patches
> which are entirely MIDI based. Upon loading them in windows (XP) I noticed
> that XP seems to have enormous troubles with timing. If I set up a simple
> metro object and have it trigger a click via midi the result is all over
the
> place, the timing is horrible "click           click click   click". I
admit

This doesn't sound infamiliar - especially if I touch my computer. Which
audio interface do you use? ASIO? MME? What's your audio buffersize/latency?

> I am using the crappy gameport Midi out on my SBLive, however under linux
> the timing seems quite solid from the same device.

Gameport-midi should have good timing - I'd guess it's better than any USB
device would give you.

>I was wondering if
> Windows 2000 might do a better job, does PD in general run better under
> 2000? Would my problem be solved if i bought a real midi interface, or is
it
> an OS related issue as I expect...?

I don't think win2k does a good job. I haven't used XP.

Hey - could you try the midilatency test patch I sent yesterday to this
list?
Heh - one more motivation to switch to linux.

best,
 j#|@