[PD] cpu load question

Pall Thayer pall at fa.is
Sat Jan 11 08:16:21 CET 2003

I just can't figure this one out. I've got a linux machine that's been running two seperate pd patches for the past 3 or 4 months with no problems. When I look at 'top' I see that each of them (they're running as seperate instances of pd with no gui, somewhere in the background) are using from 2 to 8 percent of the cpu. Now I'm working on adding a third one, it's actually not much different than the first one but when I run it, it uses 50 to 70 percent of the cpu! Both of these patches, the 1st and 3rd, are running two seperate sequencers, a mixture of some other minor stuff and sending the whole shebang to an icecast Mp3 server. But the two sequencers are created quite differently. In the new one (the one that eats up the cpu) I step through arrays for the sequences. On the first one, I didn't know how to use arrays and managed to create a very complicated system that looks like it MUST do more than play an eight step sequence (but it doesn't). Anyway, when I figured out the arrays I thought, "Hey, that should make it more cpu friendly. But of course, that might not necessarily be the problem. In the new one, I'm also running two envelope followers and the flashserver object. I've gone through and tried removing bits and pieces to see if anything will lighten the load but nothing appears to make any significant difference, not even when I remove the env~ objects. I'm frustrated.
Pall Thayer
Fjolbrautaskolinn vid Armula (www.fa.is)

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/attachments/20030110/38159f56/attachment.htm>

More information about the Pd-list mailing list