[PD] beginner's question re text

CK x at meta.lo-res.org
Mon Jan 13 14:20:36 CET 2003

I read:
> I am starting a project in which I hope to use audio to trigger text on
> a screen. My text consists of simple phrases, and I would like to have
> the phrases appear, one after another - much like a Powerpoint
> slideshow, only hitting a drum to advance to the next slide instead of
> hitting the space bar. There is no video involved, just text phrases.
>
> My question is, could I accomplish this using PD, or is this best
> pursued using another program? Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks.

I guess this could be easily done using pd, but in many different ways.
I guess gem would make some neater text output but just doing a |print|
to the console should also do the trick, in any case look at:

for the beats:

bonk
>~
env~
snapshot~

maybe you want to check out hip~ and lop~ and bp~ to filter background
noises etc...

and for text:

print (for the prototype)
gem (esp. text2d, text3d, textoutline)