[PD] getting started

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Jan 14 14:50:23 CET 2003

Hi,
Alex from idoia hat gesagt: // Alex from idoia wrote:

> I am getting step by step into PD and have a couple of newbie questions
> before getting started:
> I have read the Miller' s doc but could not find any 'reference' doc in
> which all available objects are explained.

Most of the objects are explained in reference patches in the
doc-directory of the Pd distribution. You can access them either by
doing a "Help->Pure Documentation" in the menu or right-click
(Ctl-Click on the Mac?) on any object and selecting "Help".

There also is a pd documentation project with alternative reference
patches, "pddp". I don't have the URL at hand, but pure-data.org
should know it.

Right-clicking on the main canvas and selecting "Help" gives you a
list of all builtin objects.

> Maybe there is none ? also, as I come from Max I wonder to know if
> all object in Max work in PD.

No, they don't work all. There are several compatibility projects
going on, for example the cyclone library of externals. The general
approach would be to save your Max patches in text form (.pat), open
them in Pd and find and replace all objects with their Pd equivalents,
like cycle~ -> osc~ and so on.

> At last, I would like to realise a
> very simple patch that record audio from my sound card into a aiff
> format (I am on Mac) but using a midi click set by the user to start
> and stop the recording( like any basic sequencer program), the way I
> can do some overdubbing on top later on. Is there already some
> patches that could give me an idea of how to start ?

Attached is a simple gui-abstraction for recording into a file, that I
use a lot. Just put an object [sfrecorder] into a patch, but it won't
work for overdubs, I don't know how this could be done. Also it
doesn't have a midi-start, but this could be added easily with the
notein or midiin objects.

I hope this helps you to a good start.  Welcome at Pd.

ciao