[PD] some basic questions

CK x at meta.lo-res.org
Sat Jan 18 00:49:39 CET 2003

I read:
> 1) is there a way to switch off dsp computing in a subpatcher only, and how?
> (i think i should know that)

|switch~ |

> 2) i remember a discussion thread about max-like poly (or even better -
> poly~) objects a while ago... has there been any external code written in an
> attempt to realize that?

AFAIK there are pixes attempts to do it dyamically (i.e. using internal
messages, maybe there was an external involved ... let pix answer that
one) anyway -> http://pix.test.at/pd/nqpoly/index.html

> 3) is it guaranteed (or at least intended - and under which circumstances)
> that - contrary to Max/MSP - opening a new patcher and adding objects to the
> signal tree doesn't result in an overall crackle? At least in my experiments
> i could open fairly complex and cpu-intense patches in PD without audio
> interruption.

hmmm good one, sometimes there's trouble sometimes there is none ...

> 4) i think to recall vaguely that there has been a project featuring a
> tcl/tk-less pd patcher system (i think with GTK). If this is true, does that
> still reside somewhere?

that was pdgui by karl macmillan:
http://gigue.peabody.jhu.edu/~karlmac/download/pd/

regards,