[PD] Bus Error on Mac OS X on quiting PD

Michael McGonagle fndsnd at rcnchicago.com
Sat Jan 25 08:18:35 CET 2003

Hello all,

I have been running PD on Mac OS X now for the past month, and have been
happy with everything I have tried (this includes Paradiddle and the
'chaos' externals). I am getting PD to send MIDI to Logic, using a
loopback thru a MIDI interface (maybe not the most elegant, but at least
I can send from PD).

While I have not had any problems with PD crashing during normal use, it
does seem that there might be some trouble when quiting PD normally
(using the 'quit' option in wish), it causes a bus error. I am starting
PD with the following:

<orb> pd -noaudio -nomidiin -midioutdev 2

 From here, Logic is able to recieve the MIDI over the loopback, and it
can play its AudioUnit patches (and the built-in Logic patches). But,
the real trouble seems to be when quiting out of PD, and then restarting
it, there appears to be a "loss" of MIDI connectivity, as Logic does not
"hear" PD. Once I reboot the system, everything will connect fine. It
also appears to be intermittant, as it has not happened everytime, but
often enough to make me wonder if others are getting this, too.

I am running on a PowerBook G4-1GHz, with 512 meg of ram, with OS X 10.2.3.

Thanks,

Mike