[PD] Bus Error on Mac OS X on quitting PD

Adam Lindsay atl at comp.lancs.ac.uk
Mon Jan 27 15:36:27 CET 2003

bbogart at ryerson.ca said this at Sun, 26 Jan 2003 12:37:20 -0500:

>Because PD is a tcl/tk application it has a "wish" (the tcl/tk
>interpreter) menu which goes to the top of the MAC screen as a normal Mac
>application. Now this is the menu ONLY for the interpreter, it does not
>know anything about PD running. To exit PD you need to use the menu on
>the top of the PD window itself, looks like a drop down box.. "file" ->
"quit"

Michael,

I second Ben's suggestion that at the least you should be using the File-
>Quit menu, and not Wish's quit, if you are having troubles.

>For the OSX developers will this wish dependance disapear so that only
>the PD menus are available?

I've been looking at the problem of building a self-contained executable
inside a Wish Shell on-and-off for a couple months. It seems possible,
but currently tricky (in the sense of a series of tricks--not
particularly difficult, I think). The Wish dependence isn't going away
unless Pd chooses a different interface from Tk.

>> But,
>> the real trouble seems to be when quiting out of PD, and then
>> restarting
>> it, there appears to be a "loss" of MIDI connectivity, as Logic
>> does not
>> "hear" PD. Once I reboot the system, everything will connect fine.
>> It
>> also appears to be intermittant, as it has not happened everytime,
>> but
>> often enough to make me wonder if others are getting this, too.

Whenever I quit Pd, I get a status message of "FWADisposeMIDIStream
result =" something. Do you? What does your something say? Is it
different when you File->Quit Pd from when you kill Pd less gracefully?

I've also head of bus errors occurring due to poorly written MIDI device
drivers for MacOSX. Check on your interface's manufacturer...

Cheers,
adam

 Adam T. Lindsay                      atl at comp.lancs.ac.uk
 Computing Dept, Lancaster University   +44(0)1524/594.537
 Lancaster, LA1 4YR, UK             Fax:+44(0)1524/593.608