[PD] Pd and jack (again)

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Jan 27 17:07:09 CET 2003

Hallo,
Kjetil S. Matheussen hat gesagt: // Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:

> Sorry if I have overlooked anything. But I have
> browsed this mailing list and the development list,
> and the jack mailing list, and various home-pages.
>
> And I am confused about what patch and which version
> of pd to use if I want to jackify pd.
>
> I would prefer a callback based version, like the
> jack_0_35_0_cb branch version in the pure-data cvs.
> Is this one okey, or is there a newer one?
>
> And, big question, how do I download it without
> taking each file manually? I dont know enough about
> cvs.

There is a description at http://pure-data.sourceforge.net/ but it
doesn't include how to access specific branches yet. I think I should
update it with the following:

You can access the repository with:

% cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.pure-data.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/pure-data login

and check out the externals with

% cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.pure-data.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/pure-data co externals

the abstractions with

% cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.pure-data.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/pure-data co abstractions

and Pd itself with

% cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.pure-data.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/pure-data co pure-data

To check out the current developers' branch, which is tagged with
devel_0_36, use

% cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.pure-data.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/pure-data co pure-data -r devel_0_36

You can see the available branches in the pulldown menu on
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/pure-data/pd/
(or use "cvs -T ...")

> The reason for wanting a callback based patch is
> because I'm planning to make a general jack port
> external.
> And it wont work very good with a non-callback
> based patch, I think.

I don't know which patch is in devel_0_36, I don't use jack currently,
but the source should show it.

> Is there such an external allready by the way?

I don't think it is, but actually I wouldn't put too much work into
it, because IIR Miller is redesigning the audio out/in system to a
more plugin oriented architecture. But only Miller could tell more
about this.

ciao