[PD] Pd and jack (again)

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Tue Jan 28 13:53:32 CET 2003

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:
> Sorry if I have overlooked anything. But I have
> browsed this mailing list and the development list,
> and the jack mailing list, and various home-pages.
>
> And I am confused about what patch and which version
> of pd to use if I want to jackify pd.
>
> I would prefer a callback based version, like the
> jack_0_35_0_cb branch version in the pure-data cvs.
> Is this one okey, or is there a newer one?
>
> And, big question, how do I download it without
> taking each file manually? I dont know enough about
> cvs.

Knowing cvs is important for free software developers.
Take the time and learn it, it will be very useful.

> The reason for wanting a callback based patch is
> because I'm planning to make a general jack port
> external.
> And it wont work very good with a non-callback
> based patch, I think.

I do not understand why you need a jack enabled pd
if you want to write a jack port external.
What will the jack port external do, if not replacing
the solution that exists now ?

The problem with the callback based patch is that pd
will run in the callback entirely, and pd by itself
is not always Realtime capabable. That is why I
decided to make the buffered jack I/O the default.
With the callback based version you can kill the whole
jack chain, with the buffered version you will just get
a click when pd GUI load gets too high.

> Is there such an external allready by the way?

Not that I know of.
Is there a need for it ?
I am not sure if I would recommend the development of such an
external. There are so many more useful things to do, and
we are in need of people who have the time to do that.

Guenter