[PD] Mac OS X and the -rt switch

Michael McGonagle fndsnd at rcnchicago.com
Wed Jan 29 03:15:59 CET 2003

Hello all,

I was just looking thru the commandline switch options and noticed that
the -rt switch "needs root privledges". Well, if this is true, I did try
a couple of examples (from Adam Lindsay, in conjunction with Paradiddle)
that used the -rt switch, but it did not ask me for a password.

Does this just ignore the -rt switch? Or is it that because my user is
the main (and only) user, does it automatically get root access? I am
currently running my Mac with a "rootless" system (no password for
root), and all the times I have entered a password for root, I end up
entering my user password in its place. Do I need to "enable" my root
user (give it a password) and run PD as root to get the best realtime
performance?

Or, is the -rt switch even implemented on Mac OS X?

Thanks,

Mike