[PD] MIDI tools in PD

Michael McGonagle fndsnd at rcnchicago.com
Thu Jan 30 00:54:35 CET 2003

Hello,

I have put together a system with an SL880 as the main keyboard
controller, and as the "front panel" on the beast leaves a little to be
desired (I got it for a good price and I like the keybed), I was hoping
to create some tools in PD that would modify an incoming MIDI stream.

I am interested in working with alternate tunings, and as such would be
interested in any tools for PD that would handle "on-the-fly" retuning
of a MIDI stream. From what I have seen of other implementations, the
MIDI stream needs to be split up into different channels, where each
channel has a different pitch bend assigned to it (or they could be
doled out in a round robin fashion). Anyway, the point is to translate
the incoming MIDI, and based on the current tuning system selected, and
produce a multi-channel MIDI stream with pitch bend info to effect the
tuning.

 From working with the program 'scala', the definitions it has for what
it takes to create a "keyboard map" for a particular tuning system would
be a good place to start. While this is not a complete description, the
file contains info to define a range of MIDI notes to translate, the
base reference MIDI note number, and the frequency that is produced by
the base reference note. There are other things that allow the "removal"
of keys from the MIDI stream that are not used in the particular
keyboard map.

Thanks,

Mike