[PD] Install object on OSX

Michael McGonagle fndsnd at rcnchicago.com
Thu Jan 30 16:13:17 CET 2003

Hello Alex and Olaf,

***I get this same error (warning), but it really does not seem to
matter. (Please correct me if I am wrong, my binaries work). I did try
removing the '#include <math.h>' myself, and it does not work then.

Basically, your makefile is telling the compiler to treat all warnings
as errors. If you remove the option '-Werror' from the call to cc. This
will probably be in a MACRO or something like DARWINFLAGS.

***The second error that you are getting is from trying to copy a file
(it is the help file for the timebang external). So, you might have to
look in the source directory for this file, and if it is not there, you
might have to change the makefile install target to remove the copying
of this file.

***Also, when you are running 'make' you should be running with the
commandline option (unless your makefile is very different) of:

<orb> make pd_darwin

The option 'pd_darwin' tells make to make the target for the Darwin
system. When all is finished, you should have a file with the name
'extern.pd_darwin'. This file will be what PD will link up to when you run.

I just looked at the makefile for timebang, and if you run it with 'make
pd_darwin', everything should compile as you need it. The 'install'
phase does not exsist, as the last thing you will end up with is a link
to the external you just compiled. This is the part of the OSX compile
cycle that I am not so sure about. This last line in the cycle has it
create a soft link to the external, but it also puts it in the parent
directory of the external. If you compare the make cycle for the OSX to
the other targets in the makefile, you will notice that not all
platforms do this linking thing.

So, what it comes down to is that there needs to be some sort of
standardization on how things are handle accross various platforms.

Mike