[PD] Pd and jack (again)

Kjetil S. Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Thu Jan 30 18:00:38 CET 2003

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, smoerk wrote:

> Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:
>
> >>I didn't follow your recent developements: What's k_jackd~?
> >>

> >A jackd and libjack replacement running inside pd. Horrible alpha,
> >but works. www.notam02.no/arkiv/src
> >

> how stable is is k_jackd~? does it crash pd or are there some other
> problems?

Yes, it can crash pd. I think if you close a patch with
a k_jackd~ object, without first closing the jack program, you
crash pd, and lose shared memory into void. I have fixed that
bug for a very long time a go, but
not released the code. But besides from that, and your client
works okey, it should work quite okey.
You have to manually delete all files in ~/.k_jack/ each time before
starting pd though. Eh, and you must close each patch window before
exiting pd to avoid losing shared mem.

Anyway, k_jackd~ is a hack and not at  all an optimal solution.
Its performance is quite optimal though, as long as you dont
want to route audio here and thre.

The optimal solution is a nonblocking callback-based jackified pd.