[PD] Direct MIDI or not??

matthew jones M.Jones at signal.qinetiq.com
Mon Feb 10 11:47:06 CET 2003

Using MIDI in pd gives an obvious latency, similar if I was using DirectX
drivers to control MIDI I/O on a program like Logic (say 50ms).  But in
Logic it is possible to have almost zero latency with MIDI I/O when playing
the plugin generated sounds.
Hence I cannot 'play' the synth patch in pd due to this large latency,
though I know there is no need for this.

oh, I'm running pd on XP with Delta 1010, ASIO with audiobuf size and buffer
length as small as possible before audio starts cracking up (I think it's
set at audiobuf=16, buffer length=4).  Anyone had 'playable' MIDI latencies?
Is using the serial port faster for input/output? (not of MIDI, obviously)

cheers m'dears