[PD] Re: still clicks and crashes

Kjetil S. Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Thu Feb 13 14:51:29 CET 2003

(I'm posting this mail to the pd list too. In case
some of the things I have written is wrong, someone
will hopefully correct me. The pd in question is
the development branch of V0.36 from sourceforge compiled
with jack support running on the new type of hammerfall card.)

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Natasha Barrett wrote:

> Hello
>
> I tested the machine this morning.
>
> I still hear a lot of clicks. I think this is clearer
> when reading and writing into and from an 'array' in Pd,
> rather than when playing sound directly off the disk
> with something like playsf~
>
> I was running root, used Jack with both -R and -s flags.
>
> Also, Pd often crashes with the following message:
> "engine has shut down socket;
> stdout: Brokenpipe thread exiting"

That is not good, but I hope its because you are using
a development branch of pd. There is an older version
of pd with jack-support that might be more stable.

> When I start Pd I get this message:
> "use of function jack_set_buffer_size_callback() is deprecated"

Thats not a problem.

> Any suggestions? Shall I bring the machine back in?
> Does this suggest the clicks are due to the buffering
> differences?

If the clicks are related to jack, it writes out a message to
the shell. But you must not spesify the -s flag for that to happen.

If the clicks are related to PD not able to supply enough data
to jack, you should get a notice in the shell no matter what you do.

If you get clicks but you see no message about it in the shells,
the source of the clicks are most probably in your patch.