[PD] PD usability

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Thu Feb 13 18:35:45 CET 2003

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, Yves Degoyon wrote:
> ( anyway, that boring conversation already happened,
> focusing on __TASTE__ rather than on __USABILITY__/__IMPROVEMENT__ )

I think you're underestimating taste...

> i hope we'll never speak of contract workers here )) shit...

Hi. I am a contract worker. Oupse.

> > * programmers are attracted to software that already meet
> > certain criteria of usefulness and adequacy;
> why keeping that distinction over and over between users and
> programmers ??? it's just apple/microsoft/corporate point of view !!

I don't know why others do it, there may be several reasons, but the
reason I do it in this mail in particular is because it is VERY
relevant... who writes free software? certainly not everyone, and
actually, a very low percentage of computer users.

If I were to consider the users as one big undifferentiated mass, within
the context of the analysis I am trying to make, it would be a lack of
discernment on my part.

Another point that needs to be making is what "programmer" means in this
context. What I mean by "programmer" is a person that is programming when
s/he is doing so. Similarly, a "user" is a person that is using when s/he
is doing so. Therefore, someone can be both "programmer" and "user" in the
same day, or even at the same moment.

Yet another point that I need to make: Since PureData is known to blur the
line between "programmer" and "just a user", by targeting the "power user"
and "script language programmer" alike, I'd like to mention that things I
write about "programmers" may apply partially to any kind of
"programmerish" behaviour, to various degrees, and likewise for "users"
and "userish" behaviour.

> i was born a user...

I was born to be wild!