[PD] Linux, Hammerfall, ALSA

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Fri Feb 14 10:34:25 CET 2003

Hi,

Finally I have been able to get pd running with the Hammerfall and
the ALSA drivers.
It did cost me more time than I thought, at the end I was randomly
trying different combinations of hundreds of calls for setting
fragmentsizes, fragment numbers, samplerate and channels, ...
and ... one combination worked !

Latency is not too good, I think this is because the driver currently
works in non-blocking mode. So be sure to set "-bufsize 256" or bigger.
(e.g.512,1024,2048,4096).

The code is in CVS, checkout with

#> cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/pure-data login

#> cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/pure-data co
-r devel_0_36

For those who work with the non CVS version, download s_linux.c from
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/pure-data/pd/src/?only_with_tag=devel_0_36

put it into your pd/src directory and recompile.

I do not know how well it runs on an HDSP (please report).

Guenter