pd packages [was: [PD] PD usability - .debs]

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Fri Feb 14 12:33:27 CET 2003

On 13 Feb 2003, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> I'm looking at the repository now. As far as I can tell there are debian
> packaging instructions for pd-linux(ogg stuff? should be called ogg?),
> pd-zexy, pd-flext and pd-osc (but I don't know much about the debian
> build process). What about the others? I was starting to do a spec file
> for the whole thing (spliting them to separate packages) and there are
> several issues. One is versioning. I think it would be better to split
> the collection into the component "subcollections" and maybe some of
> them (I have not checked all) do not have versioning information...

You can group the externals into different categories.

1) This is the main category
 These externals have different authors, are most of the time single
externals. The can be built with the build/linux/makefile.
I would prefer to have all externals in this format, because it
is more natural to use them, doesn't need commandline flags to
load them, etc.

(The ogg externals are there too, but they use a hackish way to
 link to the ogg libraries, I amnot sure if it should stay this way).

2) Different "libraries", collections of externals.
 Although the goal is to have as single externals, we still have some
 libraries that can not be split (different reasons for that).

 This currently is:
 flext (and its externals, this will stay this way)
 OSC
 zexy (can't remember why, maybe because I was too lazy to sort out
       the problems I had when building them as standalone)

 The debian build is happening in a makefile called debian/rules
 which "cd's" to the different subpackages and builds.

 Proposal:

  What about moving these directories that can not be built as
  single externals out ot "externals" and give them their own
  subproject. This way, externals based on flext would be part of
  flext, and built together with flext. ?

Guenter