[Fwd: Re: [PD] controlling jMax from the Web and from PureData]

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Wed Feb 19 21:50:43 CET 2003

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, Yves Degoyon wrote:
> Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> >On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Yves Degoyon wrote:
> >>ahah, it's been years we're making CGI's
> >>that sends controls from web pages to
> >>Pure Data.
> >True, but I'm talking about jMax here... I'm also talking about PD in the
> >same mail, and I doubt PD can talk to jMax by UDP by its own means.
> it could using OSC objects, no ???
> ( but i don't know if they're available for jmax)

OSC is available for jMax, but afaik, this is limited to the DSP: it can't
transmit messages. What I have done, in turn, is limited to messages, and
doesn't do DSP. So they are complementary.

> >Now if you could help me troubleshoot your problem...
> gridflow crashes after a while, i've got ruby 1.6.7

There's a way to reduce that, by putting this line in ~/.gridflow_startup:

GridFlow.clock_tick = 1000.0

but it's a hack and doesn't resolve the problem, for which I currently
have no solution. (It's a very difficult bug. I'm sorry.)

> >And the help patches for jMax are out of date, too.
> why can't we get help patches for PD
> if there are some for jmax ???

Because it's tedious work for me and I'm not nearly satisfied with the
jMax help-patches at all and so it doesn't encourage me to translate them
to PD. Also my jMax->PD translator is really not ready yet and I've
explained in another mail the problems with PD's comment-boxes.

> going through the manual is really tedious and i also doubt it's
> complete.

It's fairly complete (only C++/Ruby APIs are missing), but since many
classes share common concepts, those are described in a separate file
called "doc/architecture.html".

[Je vais répondre à tes autres mails quand j'aurai le temps. Bonne
journée.]