[PD] PD 4 EM

Guilherme Carvalho guilherme at wanadoo.fr
Fri Feb 21 02:16:11 CET 2003

Hello Jim,

I'm a fairly new/inexperienced pd user, and definitely not a programmer, but
I've been doing great with pd. Here are my answers to your questions:

1)I've used it to study some basic aspects of sound synthesis, to make some
interesting sounds I might use in future pieces, and recently in a piece for
snare drum and live electronics.
Regarding the recent usability thread, I must say I adapted very quickly to
the pd environment. I don't think anyone wanting to use it for what it does,
not only as a collection of someone else's patches, will be scared of its
interface (which isn't to say it can't improve).

2)As far as I know, pd is not the best tool for soundfile editing... but
that wasn't what I was looking for at all.

3)My favorite resources are this list and pd.org. I find all the links I
want from these two starting points.

There are two things everybody here knows but that I always stress when
talking about pd to people who don't know it yet, and they are among the
strongest points I see in this software: it's free, hence constantly getting
better by everyone's contributions, and it will run on virtually any
machine. I think these are the reasons I won't stop using pd even if I get a
Titanium 1GHz with Max on it.

Cheers,
Guilherme