[PD] Pd with 2 soundcards (Linux/Alsa)

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Feb 21 21:50:26 CET 2003

Hallo Josh,
Josh Steiner hat gesagt: // Josh Steiner wrote:

> pd will happily use several devices, its been talked about at length on
> the list (search the archives if you need more info) ... the only
> drawback is that different cards do not sync with each other and they
> can empty their buffers at slightly different rates, so sometimes you
> get clicks because one of the cards buffers has run empty.  not
> recommended for hifi situation.  why not get a multichannel card like
> the Midiman USB Quattro?  I just bought one and am loving it.

I already have an onboard sound, and sync wouldn't matter much when
prelisten. They would matter, though, when the PS card gets clicks...

The Quattro is too expensive ;( but looking at my current problems
getting a Edirol UA-20 to work, it might have been easier to get one.
It's hard beeing an early adopter in ALSA world...

I tried to open my Audiophile and my SBLive (not on laptop) with
"pd -audiooutdev 1,2" but Pd just didn't open the SBLive. This might be a
Pd/ALSA problem, because pd opens 10 output channels anyways:
ALSA: set input channels to 12
alsa: set output channels to 10
but the Audiophile only has a stereo out. (The ICE chipset can do more).

So I tried "pd -1,11" and various combinations, without success:

$ fuser /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
/dev/snd/pcmC0D0p:    4982m  4983  4984 ( <== that's Pd )
$fuser /dev/snd/pcmC1D0p
$    ( <== that's nothing )

That's why I thought, going the .asoundrc way would help. I did look
at the archives.

ciao