[PD] PD 4 EM

David McCallum 8dngm at qlink.queensu.ca
Fri Feb 21 22:39:34 CET 2003

1) I do entirely improvised sets and Pd gives me the flexibility to
accomplish anything I could possible want. I do mainly delay-loop creations
and I have interdependent parameters and audio feeds of the loops. That's
just not something I could conceive of doing in other software or hardware.
I also use it as a guitar effects rack (why buy pedals when I can code my
own?). I do everything in Pd now. If you can conceive of it, you can create it.

         I have live recordings of my Pd music at
http://mentalfloss.ca/sintheta and run a fortnightly experimental music
night in Kingston, Ontario (Canada) where I use Pd each and every show
<http://mentalfloss.ca/sintheta/exp>.

2) It doesn't replace the comfy studio programmes that people are used to.
No intricate sequencing or Ableton Live type creations. I mean, you *could*
if you wanted to put a lot of work into it; it's not impossible. Pd's kind
of like the software equivalent of a DIY hardware system.

3) The mailing list (the community is a great resource, very active), and
the wikki page on http://pd.iem.at

At 01:20 PM 20/02/2003 -0800, Jim Aikin wrote:
>1) What do you use Pd for? Have you used it in any performances or
>recordings you'd like others to know about?
>
>2) Are there musical tasks that you feel Pd is *not* especially well
>suited for? What are they? Are there limitations you're hoping will be
>addressed in future updates?
>
>3) What are your favorite online resources for learning Pd and/or
>extending it?

.
. David McCallum
.  Music wants to be free