[PD] PD 4 EM

chris clepper cclepper at artic.edu
Sat Feb 22 00:53:18 CET 2003

>I use Pd and a laptop running linux for performances.

that's great.

>  I also could
>probably write a simple C compiler and UNIX kernel from scratch, given
>enough time.

that's also really great, and impressive, but also completely
irrelevant to what Jim was asking.

>If you're not comfortable with CVS, C/C++ compilers,
>bleeding edge device drivers, serious system performance tuning,
>advanced DSP theory, and a bunch of other technical gunk, Pd is not for
>you.

OK.  this is completely and totally erroneous information.  first of
all pd runs on other platforms that aren't linux, and that do not
require any compilation.  also, CVS is pretty much for those
interested in developing pd, most users will be perfectly fine with
any of the binaries available from Miller's site.  the serious
'performance tuning' is hardly specific to pd and varies by platform.
maybe you are only referring to obscure and arcane information as it
relates to linux?  if by advanced DSP, you mean know what an
oscillator does and generally what the various flavors of filters do,
then yes that knowledge will be helpful, but is by no means a
requirement.  Pd allows for experimentation and fosters learning
about these topics much the same way old analog modular synths did.
btw, can you build one of those?  that could possibly fall under 'a
bunch of other technical junk'...

Pd is for who ever wants it.

>Perhaps, start with Reaktor or some other commercial product for
>which you can get professional support when you run into problems.

this list is one of the better support forums out there.

>If you do have the computer chops to run Pd, it will never ever
>disappoint you, and you will find its user community *just right*.

maybe we should make a test so only people with the proper, accepted
skills can actually use it.

>I have mixed feelings about an EM article on PD. On the one hand, the
>more people who use it successfully, the better. On the other hand, I
>don't like the idea of the mailing list clogging up with people who can
>barely run cakewalk complaining that their free software doesn't work.

that's a fair enough opinion, but i would vote to remove people with
condescending attitudes toward beginning Pd users before i would
block newbies from joining.  if you are indeed the expert you claim,
then what harm does it do to share a bit of knowledge now and then?
think of it as a noble calling, and not a waste of your precious time.

>Food for thought for you, perhaps.

perhaps this is some food for you?  leftovers?  mmmm tasty!

cgc