[PD] QUICKBASIC

mark mark at junklight.com
Sat Feb 22 21:44:20 CET 2003

> > as soon as my work on the COBOL plug in is done :-)
>
> COBOL?!?! Wow.

Excellent!

I worked on a project a few years ago designing and building
a java/web front end to a whole load of COBOL for a big
pensions company. I had to learn enough COBOL to figure
out what the code was doing - no docs because some of this
code had been in active service for 20 years being modified
and patched over time. Mental.

COBOL is a mighty strange language it looks like (in pseudo
code terms):

	move value to memory location
	multiply memory location by value
	calculate tax returns
	add memory locations together

this is a slight exageration but not much - its like machine
language with stratosphericly high level operations built in.

Its also really hard to get your head round if you are used
to programing modern languages. Scary stuff.

cheers

mark