[PD] Drivers question

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Mar 1 00:30:40 CET 2003

Hallo,
MC DANIEL WADE ARCHIE hat gesagt: // MC DANIEL WADE ARCHIE wrote:

> It may be off topic but I have these aardvark-pro soundcards that I want
> to use PD with in a linux environment. Has anyone tried to write there own
> drivers for ASIO soundcards and if so could they point me to some
> resources on linux sound driver programming?

You should join the linux-audio-dev list, see www.linuxdj.com Also
read the Linux Audio Guide on djcj.org

For drivers, ALSA (alsa-project.org) can always need capable
developers. ALSA is the driver architecture for pro-audio on Linux.

> Windows is kind of slow and limiting...
> I hear the latency for ASIO under linux can be less than 3ms

As smoerk said, there is no ASIO for Linux. There aren't even ASIO
soundcards, I think, there are only ASIO drivers for some soundcards,
for some not, IIR. (Correct me, I'm a Linux guy)

You're welcome to join the linux audio revolution. But beware, it
isn't easy at first. But when did revolutions come easy ;)

ciao