[PD] Force Feedback Joysticks

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Mar 2 16:36:43 CET 2003

Well, I have spent a day or so looking in to coding this and found a
number of key things:

- someone has snooped the USB messages and made a ForceFeedback library
for linux (yeah!)

- for Windows, I would use the DirectX DirectInput API.  I think force
feedback started in DirectX 7.

- As of MacOS X 10.2.3, the driver is included, and the Dec 2002 Dev
tools have ForceFeedback support as a   	HID device.

The big question remains whether it is possible to control the forces
directly.  The 'effects' playback is quite easy, but that wouldn't be
so useful in a pd context.  I am looking into that today.

.hc

On Saturday, Mar 1, 2003, at 07:31 America/New_York, PT147 at mdx.ac.uk