[PD] Re: Force Feedback Joysticks

vanDongen-Gilcher gml at xs4all.nl
Sun Mar 2 23:07:56 CET 2003

Hi,

This must be morphological resonance or something.

I just finished a small lib of force feedback externals for linux.
They are still a bit unstable, but so is the kernel api :)

I need to set up some web space for this. Next week I will have time.

Right now I am using them for a performance this wednesday in Rotterdam,
Netherlands.
A complex patternsequencer type patch controlled by a midi faderbox and a
ff-joystick that shakes and pushes with every drum hit.

Basically you can upload a number of effects to the device and then play /
change them.
The externals I have are:
ff-constant, a constant force in a given direction and a duration. Nice for
drum hits
ff-periodic, a shaking effect, different waveform, in different directions.
ff-spring, makes the stick behave as if there are springs in x and y
directions. You can also set a center and a deadband.
Nice for controlling a filter with a specific resonant spot.

ff-friction, programmed but untested.
and general ff-gain and ff-autocenter controls.
It is a lot of fun.

You need to patch the kernel (although I think it is standard in the 2.5
series now)
I needed to mess with the driver anyway because my "iforce compatible"
joystick was not. At least for the linux iforce module.
It is all a bit tricky to set up.

Anyway I am swamped with work until after thursday. Then I will clean
everything up and make them available.

regards

Gerard